Resident Award for Advocacy
Family physicians are advocates for their patients, their communities, and their specialty. To encourage the skills and interest necessary to impact the future of health care reform and of family medicine, it is critical to engage family medicine residents in advocacy efforts at local, regional, and national levels. The AFMRD Resident Award for Advocacy allows family medicine residency directors to recognize a resident who has demonstrated skills and interest in advocacy, as defined by the following criteria.
The award will be presented a maximum of one time per year and to one resident per year. The awardee must be a PGY-1, PGY-2, or PGY-3.
Residency program faculty shall select their program's recipient. Awardees may demonstrate interest in legislative or regulatory advocacy, for example, through the following:
- Completion of the Society of Teachers of Family Medicine (STFM) online advocacy course
- American Academy of Family Physicians (AAFP) Family Medicine Advocacy Summit attendance
- Evidence of participation in family medicine advocacy-related activities, such as letter writing campaigns, preparing advocacy materials, attending lobby days, or visiting, calling, or otherwise interacting with government representatives or elected officials
- Evidence of independent efforts to build a relationship with congressional offices and/or state or local officials
- Participation in AAFP committees or commissions on legislation or advocacy at the state or national level
- Participation in other state or national organizations' committees or commission on legislation or advocacy
- Presentation on advocacy given at national, state, regional, local, or residency program meetings or conferences
- Valued as an advocacy leader by faculty and peers
New this year: Upon request, the AFMRD will provide each family medicine residency program with a Resident Award for Advocacy certificate (PDF format) suitable for printing and framing. We will email your certificate to you within two weeks of your order.
Please enter the recipient's name exactly as it should appear on the award certificate.
We will begin emailing 2017 award certificates the week of March 27. Awards may be ordered any time now through July 1. If you have any questions, please email firstname.lastname@example.org at 800-274-2237 ext 6724.