Nikitas J. Zervanos
Outstanding Program Director Award
Timothy Munzing, MD, FAAFP
The American Academy of Family Physicians (AAFP) and the Association of Family Medicine Residency Directors (AFMRD) invite residency directors, program faculty, residents, and the AAFP constituent chapters to submit names for consideration for the 2017 Nikitas J. Zervanos Outstanding Program Director Award.
Nominee eligibility criteria:
- Be a current member of the AAFP and the AFMRD
- Be actively directing a family medicine program for at least 10 years
- Nominees who actively directed a family medicine program for at least ten years who either transitioned into a new position or will be transitioning into a new position will be considered eligible to receive this award. Transitions must be within 24 months of the date the award is presented.
- Demonstrate leadership and advancement of the specialty
- Have served as a mentor to residents or medical students
- Have made contributions to the community he or she serves
- Have made contributions to the organizations of the family of family medicine
- Not be a current member of the AFMRD Board of Directors or the AAFP Commission on Education
- Not have served as a Board member of the AFMRD within the last three years
- Have significant leadership experience at the national level
A program director may be nominated by other family medicine residency directors, faculty, residents, or a state chapter of the AAFP.
A selection committee comprised of the AFMRD Board members will review applications and forward the recommendation to the AAFP's Commission on Education for confirmation before forwarding to the AAFP Board for final confirmation. The official screening body is empowered to reject any nomination for what, in its opinion, is insufficient documentation. The award will be presented only if an outstanding candidate exists.
The recipient will be recognized during the PDW and RPS Residency Education Symposium in Kansas City, Missouri, and will receive free registration to the PDW or RPS portion of the conference.
Nominations are accepted only through the online nomination form that is available during the nomination submission period.
(You may, however, preview a PDF of the online form.)
The required supporting documents are:
- A current curriculum vitae
- At least two (not more than three) letters of endorsement
The nomination is not considered complete unless all required information is received by the deadline.