The Association of Family Medicine Residency Directors (AFMRD) inspires and empowers family medicine residency program directors to achieve excellence in family medicine residency training.
The Association of Family Medicine Residency Directors envisions a vibrant community of residency directors engaged in excellence, mutual assistance and innovation to meet the health care needs of the public.
1. Quality in family medicine graduate medical education
2. Innovation to enhance the art and science of family medicine residency education
3. Ethical behavior in all efforts
4. Mutual collaboration among family medicine residency directors for the common good
5. Alliance building with organizations that share AFMRD values
The Association of Family Medicine Residency Directors was founded on August 31, 1990 to address the unique needs of family medicine residency directors and the public. The founders provided mechanisms for program directors, from all types of programs, to mutually assist each other in delivering the highest quality family medicine education. The organizational symbol of AFMRD has at its center the statement, “Leadership in Education.” The focus on leadership and quality has helped the AFMRD influence the direction of the discipline over the last 20 years.
AFMRD is under the direction of a volunteer Board of Directors. The organizational structure includes standing committees and important liaison relationships with many family medicine groups. As an AFMRD member, you are encouraged to participate and serve through the committees.